10 Tips For Dentists To Improve Their Social Media Presence
Social media is changing the way people communicate, and dentists are no exception. To do a deeper dive on the subject, I reached out to 9 experts asking them the following 2 important questions:
> How important is social media for dentists today?
> What are the most effective techniques that you use?
After receiving so many different opinions and strategies, I put together a summarized version to share with you. Click here to review the full results, Connecting With Patients: 9 Experts And Dentists Reveal Their Secrets.
The single most important thing I realized after hearing many different points of view is: Start using social networks. Start a blog. Do it now, Go Social!
It might seem simplistic, but there are so many dentists out there that are still using old marketing techniques. Not that these techniques are ineffective, but in the world we live in today, dental professionals should understand the importance of balancing offline and online marketing.
To put it simply, how do people look for something today? Do they search for hours in the yellow pages to look for the nearest dentist? Probably not, especially with the amount of digital influence out there. When looking for the best dentist in town, typically people will decide by looking at multiple outlets including the dentist’s or practice’s website, their social presence, online reviews and word of mouth. In today’s world, if you’re not online, you could be missing a big chunk of possible patients.
Below you will find 10 tips that I pulled together from the expert testimonials I received explaining how you can improve your social media presence and engage with your audience.
10 Tips To Improve Your Social Media Presence
- Engage with your audience. Do not just publish updates. If somebody comments on your post, respond!
- Encourage your current patients to follow you on social media sites. Start small. Provide them with your social handles and ask them to like you.
- Create viral posts on your blog. Creating something highly shareable that is related to dentistry will register with your audience and they will want to share it.
- Don’t just focus on dental care. Post something that your audience will be interested in, whether it is a picture of your team or a video.
- Monitor your reviews on Yelp, Google and Facebook. Youmust have honest and positive reviews in order to attract new patients. Ask your current patient to kindly leave a review describing their experience. Reviews will boost your credibility.
- Manage your own social media. Doing it yourself will take some additional time out of your day, but it is worth it. You know the most about your practice, and your audience wants to hear from you.
- Dedicate 1 hour every week looking for interesting content to post. Focus your efforts and produce great content. Remember, one great article is better than ten mediocre articles.
- It’s not a set and forget game. You have to be consistent to yield engagement over time.
- Use the 80/20 Rule. 80% of what you share should be interesting, valuable and shareable to your audience; 20% should be about your practice.
- Be yourself. The most important recommendation is to be yourself. Show people how you work and who you really are.
It might seem tedious, but it’s actually just a matter of getting started. The first step is always the hardest, but once you do it, everything is going to be easier.
So Dental Geeks, do you use social media to promote your practice?